Home > WSS Self Employed
WSS Self-Employed Person 

Self Employed

Monthly Income ≤ $2,000 

If you sign up and pay for any WSS qualifying courses on your own, you are eligible for training allowance (TA) of $6.00 for each hour of training*, up to a cap of 180 hours per WSS eligibility year.

*Eligible courses include outcome-based courses offered by SSG-appointed CET centre and courses under the cleaning, security, landscape and lift sectors

Who can qualify?

You must meet the following WSS eligibility criteria:

  • You are a Singapore citizen;
  • You are aged 35 years and above (aged 13 years and above for persons with disabilities);
  • You are a Self-Employed Person who declared your Net Trade Income or work done in the preceding Work Year and made Medisave contributions;
  • You earn an average gross monthly income of not more than $2,300 for the past 12 months;
  • You live in a property with an annual value of less than $13,000 assessed as at 31 December of the preceding year;
  • You own less than two properties; and
  • If you are married:
    • Together with your spouse, both of you own less than two properties; or
    • Your spouse’s assessable income for the preceding Year of Assessment is less than $70,000

How to apply and claim?

From 1 July 2020, when you pay for your own training, you will qualify for training allowance if:

  • you complete and pass the course with minimum 75% attendance;
  • the course that you attended started within your WSS eligibility period;
  • you are not barred from receiving SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) / Workforce Singapore (WSG) / Employment and Employability Institute (e2i) grants; and
  • the training course attended is an outcome-based course offered by SSG-appointed CET centres and courses under the cleaning, security, landscape and lift sectors
How to apply? 

If you are self-employed and hence do not have CPF contributions, you will only need to make one trip to any of WSG’s Careers Connect or NTUC’s e2i centres within 120 days after the course end date to apply and submit the claim application. You need to have a valid PayNow account tied to your NRIC number for TA to be disbursed to you.

You must bring the following original documents:

  • NRIC;
  • Valid bank book or statement;
  • Valid employment documentation that prove job relevancy:
    • Contract for service dated within 3 months after the course end date; or
    • Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) business registration; and
    • Business transaction documents dated within 3 months after course end date, e.g. revenue receipt / invoice.

You may also go to the following Self-Help Groups to apply and submit your claim application: